The PSC has a long record of innovative and meaningful public engagement with diverse community partners. Over the last five decades, we have worked with organizations and community members to bring cutting edge services where they are most needed. Most of our public engagement initiatives involve UIUC students, faculty, and staff, allowing us to build education and service into our public engagement activities.
Examples of Past Public Engagement Activities:
- Access Initiative: Along with the efforts of many local leaders, agencies, and individuals, PSC staff and faculty helped Champaign County obtain a five year, $9 million dollar federal contract to create a "system of care" for youth and families with serious mental health concerns.
- Advocacy for girls in the JDC and for adult survisors of domestic violence.
- Community garden in collaboration with local school
- Low cost child-care center for adolescent mothers
- Effective Black Parenting classes for local families in diverse locations, including local churches.
- Small business program for African-American entrepreneurs in collaboration with local business community
- Diversity, Restorative Justice, and Cultural Competence Workshops in collaboration with Champaign County Mental Health Board, Champaign County Human Services Council, the Independent Media Center, and local religious organizations
- Conflict Clinic - For more information, visit the Conflict Clinic page.